Quilting Tools

Posted: 1 June 2012 at 4:59 p.m.

We know we all have favorite tools in our arsenal of quilting and sewing supplies.  What tools do you have that weren't orginally made for quilting?  You know the ones, your husbands large "T" square to make sure your quilts are square.  All the little screwdrivers in the house are in your top drawer by your sewing machine in case you need just that right size.  And, how about the ceiling tiles that make a perfect design wall.  Let us know what you have.  We're sure it will very educational for all of us.

This one is for moving your stash around

Categories:
Share |

Comments

• 9. Kym Snelson (16 July 2012 at 8:40 p.m.)

I used shoes holder that hangs in closets. dangling from rods. it contains few cubical squares that can fit lots of left over fabrics stashes and fat quarters.. as i folded fabrics neatly, i sort a cubical that close to main colors together, very organize. Every time i need find fabrics i can look thru hanging shoe holders in one place. great to find fabrics in one spot doing lots of applique works.
  • 8. Jane Smith (20 June 2012 at 12:31 p.m.)

I recently started putting new straight pins into a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It cleans the manufacturing coatings off the pins so they glide into fabric like they should. I also use a tackle box. It has perfect sized slots for embroidery floss wrapped around cards on one side & new skiens on the other. Being a drafter, I never thought about the idea of using a t-square or triangles as being unusual. Same with a computer.
  • 7. Peggy Underhill (14 June 2012 at 10:47 p.m.)

I have a fishing tackle box to carry all my stuff to classes. Lots of little compartments for threads, extra bobbins, etc.
  • 6. Arlinda (06 June 2012 at 9:36 a.m.)

Something made me pull out the utensil baskets of my dishwasher we were replacing. The handled interlocking basket now holds my rotary cutters, scissors, etc. I cut a piece of rubber liner to put in bottom of each section.
  • 5. Nzinga Khafra (05 June 2012 at 10:27 a.m.)

First of all I accessed your site through Google and it took me here, and I thought, this is odd, another Superior site, so I backed out. Read the description again to make sure, and came back in... Love the new look! Lol, using your husband's tools, that is too funny, but it works. Then I glanced down at the truck-a-ma-jig, and I am ROTFL, I want one of those, one for 'round the house, and one for conference, quilt show, and fabric store loot; is that one for sale? I find that bulldog clips come in very handy for keeping the many pieces/sections of my quilt top, rag quilt together and (organized with numbered post-it-notes attached) after laying them out (just before seaming).
  • 4. Melissa Dunworth (02 June 2012 at 11:27 a.m.)

I have a hammer that lives in my sewing room and I also use a hemostat - designed for surgeons.
  • 3. Christine (02 June 2012 at 6:53 a.m.)

A craftsman tool chest. A big one with lots of drawers that hold needles, thread, stencils, notions, little paint bottles, embellishments, I could go on and on.
  • 2. Maria Kievit (01 June 2012 at 8:48 p.m.)

I always have a shower caddy from Avon at my sewing table. It houses scissors, extra needles, cutters, turners, and every tool imaginable that I need or will use when I am sewing. This makes it easy to just pick it up and go with it: It's all ready and handy to take along. Also a hammer is in my stash of tools, to hammer down the thickness of jeans when I'm altering the lenght of them.
  • 1. Paule-Marie (01 June 2012 at 8:26 p.m.)

I use a auto mechanics tool bag for my stuff. But I plan on changing to a Husky tool bag with the gate mouth when I can find the correct size. I like shopping at the hardware store for quilting stuff - like the 2 yard yardstick.