The common thread weight to use when Thread Painting is a #40 (40 wt.) thread. This medium-thickness weight allows for designs to blend as well as stand out, depending on fiber and/or color selection.
Superior Threads carries many lines of threads which are popular for Thread Painting. They are available in three fiber types: Cotton, Metallic, and Polyester.
Cotton #40 Threads
- King Tut is an Egyptian-grown extra-long staple cotton thread. King Tut has a matte finish and is popular for more 'blending' applications. Available in 133 variegated and solid colors.
Metallic #40 Threads
- Superior Metallic is fantastic for creating bold textures and focal point areas when Thread Painting. Available in 25 colors.
Polyester #40 Threads
- Art Studio Colors, Living Colors, Nature Colors, & Super Brights are different color lines of the same high-sheen trilobal polyester. Wonderful sheen for landscape and portrait Thread Painting projects. Available in 165 colors.
- Magnifico is a high-tenacity (high-strength) trilobal polyester. Magnifico is designed for quilting and embroidery on high-speed machines. Available in 200 gorgeous colors.
- Rainbows is an amazing variegated high-sheen trilobal polyester which is precision-dyed with a 1-inch color change. Creates gorgeous patterns in embroidery and quilting. Available in 62 colors.
- So Fine! #40 is a variegated filament polyester. Ideal for Quilting and Decorative Stitching. Available in 35 colors.