Threads that are #40 or 40 wt. are the industry standard medium thickness (weight) for embroidery and quilting. Superior Threads carries many lines of 40 wt. threads. They are available in three fiber types: Cotton, Metallic, and Polyester.
Cotton #40 Threads
- King Tut is an Egyptian-grown extra-long staple cotton thread. King Tut is commonly used for quilting and decorative appliqué. Available in 133 variegated and solid colors.
Metallic 40 wt. Threads
- Superior Metallic is a fantastic thread for quilting, embroidery, and decorative appliqué. Available in 25 colors.
Polyester 40 wt. Threads
- Art Studio Colors, Living Colors, Nature Colors, & Super Brights are different color lines of the same high-sheen trilobal polyester. Wonderful for adding sheen to embroidery and quilting. Available in 165 colors.
- Magnifico is a high-tenacity (high-strength) trilobal polyester. Magnifico is designed for quilting and embroidery on high-speed machines. Available in 200 colors.
- NiteLite Extra Glow is our glow-in-the-dark thread. Charge it with natural or artificial light and watch it glow for up to 6 hours night after night. Available in 6 colors.
- Rainbows is an amazing variegated high-sheen trilobal polyester which is precision-dyed with a 1-inch color change. Creates gorgeous patterns in embroidery and quilting. Available in 62 colors.
- So Fine! #40 is a variegated filament polyester. Ideal for quilting and decorative stitching. Available in 35 colors.
- SunBurst is a sunlight-activated color changing thread. The thread is white indoors. Step out into sunlight and watch it instantly turn to color. Great embroidery thread for children's clothing and blankets. Available in 8 colors.