TIPS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
The only reason we ever discontinue a product is because we develop something better. It takes years to develop a new product. Finding the right raw material, monitoring each step of the processing, selecting colors, and testing it involves a lot of people and time. Such was the case with MasterPiece thread. That was a five year project. Now that we finally have our MasterPiece thread on prewound bobbins in 36 colors, there is no reason to continue to offer the other brand of prewound cotton bobbins. See Specials below for closeout prices.
EDUCATION: Tension Q & A
Q. Can I rely on the automatic tension system to adjust the top tension?
A. If you use different threads, fiber types, and sizes, your automatic tension setting most likely will not be adequate to adjust properly for all situations. Learning to manually adjust an auto-tensioned machine is very important when using a variety of threads.
Q. How do I know when the top tension is too loose?
A. The top thread loops on the back.
Q. How do I know when the top tension is too tight?
A. Although the following may not be directly related to the tension setting in every case, these are the common symptoms: thread breakage, thread shredding or fraying, seeing a lot of lint from a high quality thread, feeling excessive resistance when pulling the thread through the needle. Make sure you also check the needle size because these symptoms are also related to a too-small needle.
Q. Do some threads require looser tension settings even though they are not a heavy thread?
A. Yes, especially metallic threads, hologram threads, and other sensitive threads.
Q. Is it necessary to adjust the bobbin tension?
A. Sometimes, but not nearly as often as the top tension. If a good bobbin thread is breaking, the first place to check is the bobbin tension. It might be too tight.
Q. It seems like the top tension doesn’t change even though I adjust the setting. Why?
A. There might be lint or debris caught between or behind the tension discs prohibiting them from opening and closing properly.
Q. Can you help me reduce the tension and stress in my life?
A. Yes. Have a grandchild. Or buy lots of fabric and thread.
$30 IDEA WINNERS
Please be our Business Consultant. Send us your ideas to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We will award $30 gift certificates for the best ideas and you can then consider yourself a professional Business Consultant and take big tax write-offs. In the e-mail subject line, please type "$30 idea." This month's winners:
1. Cindy Kruse (California) When you are no longer going to stock a product, how about sending an e-mail to those of us that have purchased that product to give us a heads up and also let us stock up on what you have left.
Bob’s Note. Good idea. We should have been doing this. Two products are being replaced or discontinued:
A. cotton bobbins with the Coats brand on the box. Our MasterPiece prewound bobbins are a much higher grade and we can control each step of the manufacturing process. And we now have 36 colors instead of just 11. See Specials below for closeout prices on the old and an introductory offer on the new.
B. Perfect Quilter. This is one of our original products. Perfect Quilter is a 17 wt. cotton thread. See Specials below.
2. Donna Deaver. Please make the Wish List public so others can view what is on my Wish List.
Bob’s Note: Done. You can enter items into your Wish List and others can view your list and buy them for you. May you have many generous friends.
3. Susan Rubino. Please add a Quick Order feature on website.
Bob’s Note. We did it. Instead of scrolling through multiple pages when you already know exactly what you want, you can now order by either entering the SKU number or by using a convenient drop down menu to select the product, size, and color you want. Access the Quick Order function by clicking on the Show Cart/Checkout tab on any page. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/cart/
4. Debbie VanOrnum (Iowa) Please sell and redeem gift certificates on the website.
Bob’s Note: Done. Gift Certificates are available in $25 increments. You can purchase them and request they be sent to a friend. No shipping charges are assessed if only Gift Certificates are ordered.
5. Patty Weis (Iowa) I use plastic boxes with lids to put different threads in. One holds Masterpiece, one for So Fine, Rainbows, King Tut, etc. and mark on top of the box with the name of the thread. Now I don't have to look through spools and spools of thread trying to find the one I need.
Bob’s Note: We’ve been searching a long time for a suitable container and finally found what we think is the best. It is a soft plastic (it won’t break) two-sided container with a convenient handle. Each side has 24 slots just the right size to hold spools of thread. Total capacity is 48 spools. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread-storage/products/
SNEAK PEEK at 2009
1. Silk thread (#50 and #100) is being developed.
2. Many new colors of King Tut are already on order.
3. A brand new top quality coated hand quilting thread is now being made.
4. Two brand new products are in the works.
5. Bob’s seminar on DVD.
Watch the newsletters for details.
WHAT’S NEW THIS MONTH
1. A soft plastic two-sided thread holder/carrying case. Each side has 24 slots just the right size to hold spools of thread. Total capacity is 48 spools. $15. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread-storage/products/s
2. Starr Fire Quilt Kits. Designed by Heather Purcell (Mother Superior) and Annie Unrein, this 68" x 88" quilt is specially designed to use Starr Design Fabrics' Starr Fire fabric pack, a group of twenty fat quarters in rich, vibrant colors. A special plastic template is included in the pattern to make this quick and easy. The kit includes fabric, personally selected thread for piecing (MasterPiece x 2 spools) and quilting (King Tut x 2 spools), template, and pattern, all for $149.95 (total value is $201.95.) Click here for details: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/kits/products/
WHAT’S NEW LAST MONTH
1. Frosted Donuts. A fun name for a ring full of Frostings bobbins. Frostings is the name for our assortment sets of MasterPiece bobbins. Each of three sets contains 12 colors for a total of 36 colors. The BobbinSaver donut-like ring holds exactly 36 L-style bobbins so we put 36 colors of MasterPiece bobbins in the ring and called it Frosted Donut. This keeps the bobbins organized and prevents unraveling. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/product/frosted-donut
2. MasterPiece M style bobbins
It’s been a long time in the making, but M style bobbins (for most midarm and longarm machines) are finally here. These bobbins are made with our MasterPiece thread, an extra-long staple Egyptian-GROWN thread. Guaranteed to keep your machine clean and happy. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/m-style-cardboard-sided-/products
3. Educational Guide and Color Booklet. We’ve been asked by numerous book publishers and customers to write a book on threads. It’s been on the back burner for many years and still is. We have always emphasized education and try to share all our knowledge through the newsletter and via our Education section on our website. We have included all our reference guides into our new booklet, What Makes Us Superior? and this might be the start of a real book. It is free online at http://flash-view.com/pub/effce75f9a/view_book.html or if you would like a full color printed copy, they are available at our cost of $2.00. The 72-page booklet contains the following:
Color brochures of our thread lines
Thread Reference Guide for Home Machines
Thread Reference Guide for Longarm Machines
Thread Selection Guide
Thread Tension illustrated lesson
4. Gift certificates can be purchased by telephone or online at http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/gift-certificate/products
INVITATION to RETAIL STORES
If you own or work at a store that carries any of our products, please add your store information to the Store Locator on our website. Customers can find you by country, state, or zip code. We will tell the world about your store, list all Superior products you carry, list your phone number and website, and even provide a map. Listing is free. Here's the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/locate We also have “Superior Threads available here” window and door decals available free of charge upon request.
1. Closeout on former brand of prewound bobbins. $36 per gross (only five colors left). $22 for a half-gross set of assorted colors. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/box-of-144/products
2. Starr Fire Quilt Kits. Designed by Heather Purcell (Mother Superior) and Annie Unrein, this 68" x 88" quilt is specially designed to use Starr Design Fabrics' Starr Fire fabric pack, a group of twenty fat quarters in rich, vibrant colors. A special plastic template is included in the pattern to make this quick and easy. The kit includes fabric, personally-selected thread for piecing (MasterPiece x 2 spools) and quilting (King Tut x 2 spools), template, and pattern, all for $149.95 (total value is $201.95.) Save over $50.00. Click here for details: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/kits/products/
3. Soft plastic double-sided thread holder/carrying case. Each side has 24 slots just the right size to hold spools of thread. Total capacity is 48 spools. $15. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread-storage/products
4. Perfect Quilter. When they’re gone, they’re gone. 50% off Perfect Quilter. Regular price for 300 yd. mini cones is $8.99 (36 colors still available). Now only $4.50. 2,500 yd. cones (only 23 colors left) are $15 (reg. $29.95). Perfect Quilter is a 17 wt. cotton thread that creates a wonderful, well defined stitch. We recommend using a Topstitch #100/16 needle and a thread stand/cone holder. Perfect Quilter is recommended for home machines and not for most longarms. Here's the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/perfect-quilter/description
5. MasterPiece bobbins Try Me Special. Recommended for bobbin, applique, and piecing. A set of six L-style bobbins, each a different color, for $4. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/specials/products/
6. Check out other specials and "try me" specials here: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/specials/products
DO YOU BLOG or READ QUILTING BLOGS?
For a great source of quilting inspiration and fun, visit http://www.Quilterblogs.com. Each day, QuilterBlogs reads hundreds of quilting related blogs from around the world and posts the latest updates hourly. The site also teaches how to create one’s own blog. If you already have a quilting-related blog, you can add your blog to this website absolutely free.
Are you frustrated with your website or webmaster? Or thinking about creating a website or need to upgrade, change, or maintain your current website? We have a wonderful recommendation. Check out http://www.WebsitesForQuilters.com They are highly skilled, fast, accurate and have good rates. We use them, like them, and recommend them to everyone. Please contact them through their website or at [email protected]
(This is an unpaid and unsolicited recommendation. You’ll love their superior service.)
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE OF THE MONTH
Ken was a single guy living at home with his father and working in the family business. When his father became quite ill, he realized that he would soon inherit a large fortune. He decided he needed a wife with whom to share his fortune. One evening at an investment meeting he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her natural beauty took his breath away. “I may look like just an ordinary man,” he said to her, “but in a short time, my father will die and I'll inherit 20 million dollars.” Impressed, the woman obtained his business card.
Three days later, she became his stepmother.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
January Newsletter Add-on
1. Thank you to all who told us we needed a better image of the Superior Spool Case, the new 48-slot spool holder. We promptly took new photos and it looks much nicer on the website. Here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/thread-storage/products/
2. New Arrivals. Four new colors of MasterPiece M-style prewound bobbins just arrived. We now have six neutral colors available for these larger bobbins. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/dozen-masterpiece-prewound-bobbins/products/
3. Our webmaster programmed a new function in our website for out-of-stock products. If you want a product that is temporarily out of stock, there is a box to type in your e-mail address. As soon as we receive the product and activate it on our website, you will automatically receive an e-mail notifying you that the product is in stock. This is a wonderful new feature. We will announce this $30 Business Consultant winner in the next newsletter.
THANK YOU for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day.
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee. Superior no ka oi
Copyright 2009 by Superior Threads. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell. http://www.superiorthreads.com