November 4th is King Tut Day. Really! Google it. This day celebrates the anniversary of the discovery of King Tutankhamen's Tomb. Over 3,000 years ago, King Tutankhamen became the King of Egypt at the age of 9. The tomb was discovered on November 4, 1922. So celebrate with us and receive a FREE spool of King Tut thread if you order on Nov. 4, 5, 6, or 7 See the WHAT’S NEW section below for details.
WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
Our Reference Guides are great tools to help answer questions and solve problems you may be experience. Below is a list of what is available. Click here to access them.
Home Machine Reference Guide
Longarm Machine reference Guide
Thread Selection Guide
These guides are also printed in our company booklet, What makes Us Superior?, and they make a handy reference.
EDUCATION: TEXTURE MAGIC
Texture Magic is a very popular product. Ideas and techniques for using this product are unlimited and are pouring in. Patsy Thompson has created wonderful video tutorials demonstrating some great techniques using Texture Magic. Patsy is a great teacher and her tutorials are very professional, just like her other quilting DVDs.
Please click here to view Patsy’s videos.
Texture Magic Patterns are available on our website. See What’s New section below.
BOB'S TEACHING SCHEDULE Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob
Nov. 11-13, 2009. St. George, UT. School of Threadology
Dec. 3. Dallas, TX. Quilter's Guild of Dallas
Jan. 6, 2010. Peoria Quilt Guild. Peoria, IL
Jan. 7, 2010. HAAQG. Bloomington, IL
Jan. 15-16, 2010. Ontario, CA. Road to California. http://road2ca.com/ Bob will teach two lectures and Superior Threads will teach two classes using Texture Magic.
Feb. 11, 2010. Scottsdale, AZ
July 1-3, 2010: Hawaii School of Threadology goes to Kona, HAWAII as part of Quilt Hawaii.
SCHOOL OF THREADOLOGY
Nov. 11-13. With Special Guest John Flynn
February 3-5. Certified Superior Threadologist course
April 7- 9. Certified Superior Threadologist course
July 1-3. Hawaii (Big Island). Certified Superior Threadologist course in Paradise. Part of the Quilt Hawaii event. Life doesn’t get much better than this. Become a Certified Superior Threadologist while enjoying a few days in paradise. Other classes and events are also available as part of the Quilt Hawaii event. Great room rates at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa have been negotiated.
The next session will be Nov. 11-13, 2009. Three days of fun and learning. John Flynn will be a guest teacher for one day and the other two days will be taught by Bob and Heather.
Includes: Hands-on classes, seminars and lectures, a tour of our office and warehouse, and an fun opportunity to browse and shop in our newly expanded warehouse.
Cost: $295 per person. Includes three days of classes, printed materials, a lot of thread (over $100 worth), teacher fees, lunch daily, and two dinners. Participants pay their own way to St. George and pay for their hotel accommodations (located two minutes away and only $79 per night including breakfast). Space is limited. How to register: Call our office at 800-499-1777 or e-mail Ricci at [email protected]
$30 IDEA WINNERS
Please be our Business Consultant. Send us your ideas to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We will award a $30 gift certificate for the best ideas. In the e-mail subject line, please type "$30 idea." This month's winning Consultants:
1. Georgene Huggett. During the checkout process, you recommend needles for my longarm machine to go with the thread I've chosen to purchase. However, you list them by sizes 16, 18, or 19 and these are numbers that I don't easily recognize. Therefore, I don't know if I need to buy that size or not. To keep in simple in my mind, I refer to the needle sizes as 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5. So maybe you could also include the simpler number sizes and I would readily know if I need to purchase additional needles as I check out.
Bob’s note: Done. We have updated longarm needles to show both sizes.
2. (From a Superior customer in Hawaii. We have your e-mail address but not your name. We’ll contact you.) How about a sentence at the top of your email newsletter that it can be read at your website in large or huge type size. I recently discovered this option at your website and I now use it all the time to read your newsletter in huge type.
Bob’s note: Done. Mahalo. Need any thread personally delivered to Hawaii?
HOUSTON INTERNATIONAL QUILT FESTIVAL
Congratulations to Caryl Bryer Fallert, who won the $10,000 Best of Show award for 2010 at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. Her quilt is entitled On the Wings of a Dream (. . insert image . . .). This is an inspiring quilt, not just for technique, but for content as well. For the full story behind the meaning and design, please click here.
Caryl is well known for her precise ribbon-like piecing and skilled quilting. We are very proud to have her name on a line of thread. She helped us design our Brytes (now NEW Brytes) thread line. Thank you Caryl and congratulations again.
WHAT’S NEW (This Month)
1. Texture Magic patterns. We currently have 13 different patterns available. These patterns include quilt patterns, clothing patterns, baby accessory patterns, and patterns for bags and totes.
We receive many requests to view and resell other patterns for Texture Magic products. We decided to refer these to a pattern professional, The Quilt Pattern Shoppe, an online pattern reseller. Here you will see a Texture Magic Patterns section on their website and pattern designers can contact them to submit pattens for consideration.
2. NEW Brytes 1,650y d. cones. We are proud to have Caryl Bryer Fallert’s advice and name on this product. NEW Brytes is the same #30/3-ply polyester thread and color range as Brytes but not as slick. We "de-slicked" it, making it easier to use at high speed. New Brytes is intended to be bright and visible and it is great for home machines (quilting and embroidery), lomgarm machines, and computer-aided quilting, See Specials below for the introductory special price.
WHAT’S NEW (Last Month)
1. Holy SuperBOBs. A set of 35of the most popular colors of L-style SuperBOBs packed into a BobbinSaver donut. Filled with The Bottom Line 60 wt. polyester. Very convenient for portability. The Bottom Line is fantastic for hand and machine applique, bobbin thread, detailed micro quilting, binding, and dental floss. $36.
2. Revised Thread Reference Guide for home machines. This guide tells you what each thread’s main use is, the thread weight, what bobbin thread is recommended to use with it, what needle type and size to use, and now includes what top tension setting is best. Great information all on one page. Free to download and print.
3. NiteLite/SunBurst color card. Our newest color card is a combination card of both NiteLite ExtraGlow (glow-in-the-dark) thread and SunBurst (sunlight-activated color-changing thread). Contains six colors of NiteLite and eight colors of SunBurst. Take the card outside into the sunlight and all eight colors of SunBurst change instantly. Take the card into a dark room and the NiteLite ExtraGlow colors glow. As with all our thread cards, this is made with the actual thread and sold at our production cost of $3.
4. Superior Threads is now on Facebook. It’s easy to join our page: From your Facebook page, click on ‘Friends’ at the top, and then ‘Find Friends’. Search for ‘Superior Threads’ in the search box. Click on the ‘Pages’ link on the left-hand side of the screen. You should then see the Superior Threads logo. Click on ‘Become a Fan’. That’s it! We'll be watching for you.
If you own or work at a store that carries our products, please register your store on our Store Locator. It is free. New customers can find you by country, state/province or zip code. We also list your contact information and what Superior products you carry. We recently added a new feature to online orders. At the bottom of the customers’ order, we list all stores in their area that carry our products. Your store must be registered on our Store Locator to be included. The Store Locator feature is as accurate and current as stores add themselves to our website.
BOB’S RECOMMENDATION for Website Design and Hosting
Are you frustrated with your website or webmaster? Or thinking about creating a website or need to upgrade, change, or maintain your current website? We have a wonderful recommendation. Check out WebsitesForQuilters.com. They are highly skilled, fast, accurate and have good rates. We use them, like them, and recommend them to everyone. Please contact them through their website or at [email protected] (This is an unpaid and unsolicited recommendation. We use them, like them, and therefore recommend them. You’ll love their superior service.)
1. FREE offer celebrating King Tut Day. Order at least $30 of any product on Nov. 4, 5, 6, or 7th and mention "King Tut Day" in the Comments section of your order and receive a free 500 yd. spool of King Tut. You can even request the color in the Comments box. Phone and fax orders also qualify.
1. 25% off Introductory Special on NEW Brytes. New Brytes is the same type, thread size, and colors as Brytes but not as slick. We "de-slicked" it. New Brytes is a #30/3-ply polyester thread intended to be bright and visible. 1,650 yd. cones are on sale at $12.65
2. Try Me Specials. You choose the product, we choose the colors, and you save 40-50%. Available for most products.
3. Art Studio Colors 2,000 yd. cones. This is a beautiful high sheen premium trilobal polyester thread for both quilting and embroidery. 36 colors. Half price. Only $6.95 (regularly $13.90).
4. Perfect Quilter. When they’re gone, they’re gone. 50% off Perfect Quilter. Regular price for 300 yd. mini cones is $8.99 (34 colors still available). Now only $4.50. 2,500 yd. cones (only 17 colors left) are $15 (reg. $29.95). Perfect Quilter is a 17 wt. cotton thread that creates a wonderful, well defined stitch. We recommend using a Topstitch #100/16 needle and a thread stand/cone holder. Perfect Quilter is recommended for home machines and not for most longarms.
5. Superior Sampler Sets individually designed for home quilting, longarm quilting, embroidery, and bobbin work. Save almost 50%.
MOTHER'S SUPERIOR BLOG
Four times a week we publish Mother Superior's blog. Every Tuesday is Texture Magic Tuesday. It is an informal journey into Superior Threads – the people, the workplace, stories, and events. Includes occasional giveaways.
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE of the MONTH
In a trial, a southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly woman, to the stand. The attorney approached her and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know me?"
She responded, "Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you."
The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?"
She again replied, "Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can't build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him." The defense attorney nearly died.
The judge quickly interrupted and ordered both counselors to approach the bench and in a very quiet voice said, "If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you to jail for 20 years!"
THANK YOU for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day.
If this was forwarded to you and you want to subscribe, please click here: http://www.superiorthreads.com/newsletters/
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee.
Superior no ka oi
Copyright 2009 by Superior Threads. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell. www.superiorthreads.com