Mid-August 2011 Happy Birthday Special Newsletter
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
August 2011 Happy Birthday Special
It's MOTHER SUPERIOR'S BIRTHDAY PARTY and she is giving you a present.
Receive a FREE spool of thread of your choice with orders over $30 for the next five days (through August 21, 2011).
For online orders, during checkout, there is a Notes box. In that box, write the birthday present thread type and color you want and we will include it FREE in your order. For example, if you want King Tut, just write King Tut # ---.
Choose any spool and color from any of our thread lines.
Here is a sample list.
King Tut 500 yds.
MasterPiece 600 yds.
Metallic 500 yds.
Glitter 400 yds.
Rainbows 500 yds.
Nature Colors 500 yds.
Living Colors 500 yds.
Bottom Line 1,420 yds.
So Fine #50 550 yds.
So Fine #30 275 yds.
Razzle Dazzle 110 yds.
NiteLite ExtraGlow 80 yds.
Vanish-Lite (200 yds.) or Vanish-Extra (300 yds.)
SunBurst 200 yds.
Art Studio Colors by Ricky Tims 500 yds.
Highlights and Super Brights 500 yds.
Happy Birthday, Heather (Mother Superior)! Thank you for bringing wonderful threads and colors into our world.
Note to Thread of the Month Club Members: This offer is in addition to your free thread offer for August. Enjoy your double bonus.
WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
Thank you for being part of my life for the past 12 years. Bob and I feel very blessed with wonderful friends in the quilting, embroidery, and sewing worlds. Life is good. Work is busy. And we are still having fun.
EDUCATION: SUCCESS = Q x S x E
When we buy a product, we expect it to work. It is very frustrating to buy something, get home, and discover a part is missing or it doesn't work. We all have probably had the experience of buying a car, camera, cell phone or some gadget that didn’t work as promised. Often the attitude of the salesperson is,”I made the sale and my job is finished. Have a problem? Call tech support or go see the service department.” Then we hope we can communicate with a person in the Service Department who cares as much as the salesperson seemed to care.
In the sewing world, we are your Service Department. We have solved hundreds of sewing-related problems and a large percentage of those were not related to thread. We have been told many times, “You taught me more than my machine dealer.”
Our work is quilting, sewing, and embroidery. We have eight longarm machines and 23 home machines in our School of Threadology. All run our thread very well. When there is a problem we can usually trace it to the thread or the needle or the tension. Only once did we require a technician to repair a machine.
We have created many guides to help you locate and fix the problem. The first place to consult is our Thread Reference Guide and there is one for Home Machines and Longarm Machines. The next guide to diagnose a problem is our Troubleshooting Guide. These guides will help you discover where lies the problem and what steps to take to correct it. Our thread is guaranteed. I think we are the only thread company that guarantees every spool we sell. Our guarantee is simple: It it will work in your machine if you follow the simple guidelines outlined in the Thread Reference Guide.
One of our company’s mottoes is Success = Quality x Service x Education.
We guarantee quality.
We strive for the best service you will ever experience.
We emphasize education to both our staff and to our customers.
The reason the formula is Q x S x E rather than Q + S + E is because if any of the variables were zero, the total becomes zero and that is failure. Success for us requires all three and if one part is missing, there is no success.
If you ever drive the I-15 freeway through southern Utah, please take time to visit us. You will see this Success = Quality x Service x Education formula in huge letters on a wall in our work area. We see it everyday so that it is always in the forefront of our minds.
BOB'S SEMINAR SCHEDULE
Aug. 26. Tacoma, WA. Pacific West Quilt Show. 4:30-6:00 p.m.
Sep. 6. Lake Mary, FL. Bernina Sewing Centre. 1:00 p.m. Call 407.805.9300 to reserve a spot.
Sep. 6. The Villages, FL. The Villages Quilt Guild. 7:00 p.m.
Sep. 8, 9, 10. Madison, WI. Wisconsin Quilt Expo. 8:30 a.m.
Oct. 6. Huron, OH. Quilting with Machines. 7:30 p.m.
WHAT’S NEW (This Week)
1. So Fine #40 Variegated. For years, many have requested So Fine #50 thread to be made in variegated colors. We resisted because a #50 thread is usually used as a blending thread rather than a visible thread. The perfect solution was to make So Fine in a #40 size thread and dye it in variegated colors. The nature of So Fine thread is different from any other polyester thread. It is a patented and protected process and this new So Fine #40 thread is the only thread like it in the world. Guaranteed. Recommended needle for Home Machines is Superior Topstitch #90/14 and for Longarm Machines, #18 (MR 4.0).
2. PayPal is now a payment option. We have considered this many times in the past and kept saying no, but the time has come and we now accept PayPal. You will see it in the payment options at checkout.
3. Updated Thread Selection Guide. Do you want the thread to blend or to be visible? Solid or variegated? Cotton, poly, metallic, silk, other? For embroidery, serger, piecing, quilting? This convenient flow chart will guide you to the ideal thread for the look you want.
4. Two new Color Compatibility charts are available.
King Tut to Bottom Line
Bottom Line to King Tut
5. We continue to add So Fine #50 colors already available on the 3,280 yd. cones to the smaller 550 yd. spools. Twelve more colors are now available on the 550 yd. spools: 455, 456, 459, 461, 463, 464, 465, 498, 499, 500, 503, 508.
6. APQS-recommended needles. In addition to the sizes announced two weeks ago, size #19 (MR 4.5) needles are now available.
WHAT’S NEW (Two weeks ago)
1. Product-specific videos. We are making a series of 2-3 minute videos demonstrating each of our threads. We show the thread in use and talk about needles and tension. The first video is for OMNI Thread and is now on our website. Click here to view.
2. APQS-recommended needles. Some longarm machine companies recommend specific needle styles for their machines. Although other needle styles may also be compatible, we now offer the specific needles recommended by the machine company. APQS-recommended needles are now available in sizes #16, 18, 21.
3. Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob. REVISED July 2011. 15 short videos are now available on our website and more on on the way. Recorded live at an actual thread therapy session at the School of Threadology. These will help solve most problems you encounter with thread.
$30 IDEA WINNERS
Please be our Business Consultant. E-mail your ideas to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We will award a $30 gift certificate for the best ideas. This month's winning Consultants:
1. Sandy Overturf. Why not have a contest of your thread displayed in private studios?
Bob's Note: We invited our 11,500 Facebook fans to share photos of their thread stashes. We've seen some amazing sewing studios with nice thread collections. Please visit our Facebook page to see some. We occasionally offer specials, contests, and advance announcements to our Facebook fans.
2. Sharon Clark (Canada). I Love Superior Threads!!! To keep my inventory up to date, I often have two spools of thread of the same colour; however, I don't want to display to EVERYONE (especially my husband) how much thread I really do have. I keep my extra spools of thread in a drawer and I put a little sticker on my partially used spools of thread that indicates how many spools of that colour I have in my drawer. This way I am only displaying one of each colour and I can see at a glance that I have more of the same colour in my drawer.
Bob's Note. As a husband of a quilter, I know where you hide your stashes. I've seen fabric in linen closets, under the bed, in the trunk of the car, and I know you have stashes at friends' houses. But I'm OK with that. Please keep creating beauty.
THREAD of the MONTH CLUB
Club members receive a free spool of thread of their choice this month.
Price Guarantee. Club members are guaranteed that the price for Club threads will not increase for the monthly Club shipments. This guarantee is valid for all Club members. For example, the price of King Tut and MasterPiece spools recently increased. However, the Club price stayed at the original level. This means that even if you join a club now, your prices are at the original Club level, not the current higher price.
We tried to design our Thread of the Month Clubs in such a way that it screams, "Why wouldn't I want to be part of this? The benefits are amazing."
- FREE SHIPPING (USA addresses) or discounted shipping (international) on your monthly Club order including all Superior products you add to the Club shipment.
- No enrollment fees, management fees, or any type of fees.
- No time commitment. Start, add, cancel, or switch Clubs any time.
- Wide variety of threads to choose from such as King Tut, MasterPiece, So Fine, Bottom Line, OMNI, Embroidery, Silk, and a new Superior Sampler Club.
- Members-only amazing monthly discounts. There are some great specials.
- Retail and Wholesale Clubs available. (Wholesale accounts must log in to view Clubs.)
What is the School of Threadology?
1. September 13, 20, 27, 2011. Sue Gilgen Landscape Quilt class. This class is held on three consecutive Tuesdays so we understand it is not feasible for those who travel, but if you live near us, it's going to be a great class. $195. Maximum of 14 students.
2. January 16-17, 2012. Ontario, CA. Registration is through the Road to California quilt show office. Limited capacity. Only 12 spaces left.
3. February 2-4 and 6-8, 2012. St. George, Utah. The Silk Experience is coming to the School of Threadology. Conducted by Maggie Backman, one of the most knowledgeable silk specialists in the world. The Silk Experience brings top teachers from around the world to teach all about silk. This class has been taught in Houston during International Quilt Festival for many years. Two different 3-day classes will be offered at the School of Threadology. Maximum: 30 students per session. Registration information is available on the Silk Experience website.
4. NEW. March 20-23, 2012. St. George, Utah. MY DESIGN by Cindy Needham. Cindy has created this workshop for the confident beginner up to the experienced free motion quilter. She will provide you with a good foundation on thread choices, how to make good quilting design choices, how to create and design fabulous feathers, her new French paisley designs, and how to create beautiful background designs with minimal marking. Everyone will go home with a beautiful wholecloth sampler quilt that is created during the week. Cost of $400 includes four full days of Cindy's workshops, four lunches and three dinners. Price does not include airfare or hotel accommodations. Please do not make non-refundable airline and hotel reservations until we meet our student minimum of 18.
FREE Thread Offer this month. Happy Birthday to and from Mother Superior. For the next four days (through midnight August 21, 2011), receive a FREE spool of thread of your choice with orders over $30. See details at the beginning of this newsletter. For online orders, during checkout, there is a Notes box. In that box, write the birthday present thread type and color you want and we will include it FREE in your order. For example, if you want King Tut, just write King Tut # ---. Choose any spool from our thread lines.
OMNI Thread is on sale. 22% off during August. Celebrating the full line of 172 colors. OMNI Thread was designed as a machine quilting thread for high speed midarm, longarm, and home machine quilting and is recommended as both a top thread and a bobbin thread.
Thread size: Tex 30 (approx. equal to 40 wt.)
Construction: Filament poly core wrapped with a spun poly outer layer.
Number of colors: 172. Cone size: 6,000 yds.
Sale Price: $12 (reg. $15.40)
#100 Kimono Silk on 1,090 yd. mini-cones. 80 vibrant colors of #100 fine silk thread.
Ideal for hand applique, invisible machine applique, and detail quilting.
1,090 yd. mini cones.
On sale this month for $12.99 (reg. $17.99).
With over 3,000 products, ordering and producing is a busy task. We made a mistake on a recent batch of two colors of Glitter and they are not quite as sparkly as our standard colors. So, here is the offer: We have a batch of light gold and a batch of bright gold Glitter that are slightly different from our regular colors, so we are offering them at 75% off.
Exact same quality as all our Glitter thread but just not quite as glittery in color. If you teach classes or need a decorative thread for store demos, this is a great opportunity.
Glitter is wonderful for decorative quilting and embroidery.
To see Glitter in use, we have a short video available.
Only $1.50 per spool (reg. $5.99). No Limit. Click here to order.
Sampler Sets. If you are not familiar with many of our products, we offer a variety of Sampler Sets at good discounts. We have a set for home quilters, another for longarm quilters, another for embroiderers, and another for bobbin work/serger/couching.
Each set contains many threads for the indicated application. For example, the Home Machine Quilting Sampler kit contains the following: Color catalog, Superior Metallics (500 yds.), Glitter (400 yds.), Rainbows (500 yds.), NiteLite ExtraGlow (80 yds.), The Bottom Line (1,420 yds.), Nature Colors (500 yds.), So Fine #50 (550 yds.), King Tut (500 yds.), MasterPiece (600 yds.), Superior Topstitch Assortment needles (pack of 5 needles), SuperBOBs L-Style (1 bobbin), So Fine #30 (NEW Brytes) (275 yds.), Kimono Silk (220 yds.). A $90 value for only $54. Similar discounts are offered on all Sampler Sets.
Perfect Quilter. All remaining stock at 50% off. Perfect Quilter is a #30/3-ply cotton and is being discontinued. Available on both 300 yd. mini cones and 2,500 yd. cones. Perfect Quilter is a heavier cotton thread and intended to be visible on your quilts. Works well on home machines with a Topstitch #100/16 needle. Some longarm machines (tight-tensioned machines) do not run it well. Loosely-tensioned longarm machines are fine.
300 yd. mini cones: $4.50 (reg. $8.99). 27 colors remaining.
2,500 yd. cones: $15 (reg. $29.99). 11 colors remaining.
50% off pure filament silk ribbon.
Superior's Silk Ribbon is available in 3 widths (2mm, 4mm, 7mm).
30 beautiful variegated colors and some solid colors.
50% off this month. Only $3.50 per pack (reg. $6.99).
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE of the MONTH
A married couple was in a terrible accident where the woman's face was severely burned. The doctor told the husband that they couldn't graft the skin from her body, so the husband offered to donate some of his own skin. However, the only skin on his body that the doctor found suitable would have to come from his rear end. The husband and wife agreed that they would tell no one about where the skin came from and requested that the doctor also honor their secret. After all, this was a very delicate matter. After the surgery was completed, everyone was astounded at the woman's restored beauty. She looked even more beautiful than she ever had before. All her friends and relatives just went on and on about her youthful beauty! One day, she was alone with her husband and she was overcome with emotion at his sacrifice. She said, "Dear, I just want to thank you for everything you did for me. There is no way I could ever repay you."
"My darling," he replied, "think nothing of it. I get all the thanks I need every time I see your mother kiss you on the cheek."
$3.95 SHIPPING ON ALL RETAIL ORDERS CONTINUES within the U.S. 50 states. You choose the products, we’ll choose the shipping method. (Wholesale and business account orders have different shipping rates.) You still have the option of choosing faster shipping methods.
International orders: We now offer low Air Mail rates on international shipping to most countries. Air Mail rates are available for packages up to 4 lbs. International packages over 4 lbs. sent via the Post Office require Priority Mail or Express Mail rates. UPS is also available.
THANK YOU for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day. To change your subscribed e-mail address or if this was forwarded to you and you want your very own copy personally sent to your e-mail Inbox, please click here: Subscribe. To unsubscribe, click the link at the bottom of the e-mail.
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee.
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior no ka oi
Copyright 2011 by Superior Threads. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell. www.superiorthreads.com
Copyright © 2011 Superior Threads. All Rights Reserved.