September 2011 Newsletter
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior Threads September 2011 Newsletter
WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
Tension is a common topic when sewing. Here is an easy-to-understand illustration of how the top tension and bobbin tension interact and why it is necessary to make adjustments.
EDUCATION : Creating with Water Soluble Stabilizer
Sometimes a fantastic product seems to go unnoticed forever and then suddenly the world wakes up and discovers it. This is happening with our regular Dissolve and Dissolve-4x water soluble stabilizers. (The reason it is called 4x is because it is four times thicker than regular Dissolve water soluble stabilizer.) Both are very soft and quick dissolving in either cold or warm water. Both can be marked with permanent marking pens and the ink goes away when stabilizer dissolves.
Water soluble stabilizers are commonly used in three ways:
-- Embroidery. To create snowflakes or angels or lacework, Dissolve or Dissolve-4x is used to sandwich the thread and keep it intact while sewing. After sewing, soak the item and the Dissolve goes away leaving only the thread creation.
-- Pattern marking for quilting and thread painting.
-- Thread and fiber art and other wearable art such as thread shawls and thread scarves.
Here are two examples of using Dissolve and Dissolve-4x
1. This first example is quite surprising. It is by our son, Todd. (He was the bad 14-year-old boy who cut up a swim suit and stitched it back together with Vanish water soluble thread and then lent the suit to a friend.) Todd imagined, designed, and created an entire fiber art project using Dissolve-4x and thread. Within a two-month period, he taught himself how to sew, figured out how to do bobbin work and couching with heavier decorative thread, and created a piece of art that is truly amazing. I promise you will enjoy reading what he did and seeing photos of each step. Please click here to see Todd's Fiber Art Guitar. It is a step-by-step process explaining one way to use Dissolve-4x in fiber art. It's impressive.
2. From Jody Ohrt. I use Dissolve with my quilt marking system and it is wonderful. To mark the Dissolve, measure the area (block, sashing, border, etc.) to be quilted. Cut the Dissolve slightly larger than the measurement on all sides. Tape the Dissolve to a flat surface with blue masking tape, making sure it is taut.
Mark the measurements of the area to be quilted for placement of Dissolve on the quilt. Tape the stencil on top, making sure the placement is correct. Draw the pattern onto the Dissolve. If using a printed pattern from a book or other printed source, tape a copy of the printed pattern on a flat surface, put the Dissolve on top and tape down. Be sure to mark all dimension lines for placement.
Draw over the pattern directly onto the Dissolve. After ditch-quilting my quilt, I pin with flower head pins a piece of the marked Dissolve to the appropriate place, making sure it is taut.
I quilt the area and then remove the Dissolve. What an easy way to mark and quilt my quilts! The Dissolve comes off easily and if a small piece remains I don't worry because I know it will Dissolve in the wash.
Thank you for such a wonderful product. I'm looking forward to marking and quilting my quilts because of this fabulous product. I share this new way with all my quilting friends.
For more creative ideas using Dissolve and Dissolve-4x, please visit our Dissolve Ideas page.
See Specials section below for this month's special on Dissolve and Dissolve-4x.
BOB'S SEMINAR SCHEDULE
Sep. 6. Lake Mary, FL. Bernina Sewing Centre. 1:00 p.m. Call 407.805.9300 to reserve a spot.
Sep. 6. The Villages, FL. The Villages Quilt Guild. 7:00 p.m.
Sep. 8, 9, 10. Madison, WI. Wisconsin Quilt Expo. 8:30 a.m.
Oct. 6. Huron, OH. Quilting with Machines. 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 12-15. Portland, OR. MQX West Machine Quilt Expo. No formal seminar but I will be in the booth.
$30 IDEA WINNERS. Please be our Business Consultant. E-mail your ideas to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We will award a $30 gift certificate for the best ideas. This month's winning Consultants:
1. Jennifer Good. I'd like the option to be able to add items throughout the month in a layaway type shopping cart then when the time comes have them shipped automatically with the next Thread of the Month Club shipment or if we need something right away have those selected items shipped immediately. Could you add a check box to the shopping cart or order page where we can decide between "ship now" or "layaway" for our purchases? Thanks!
Bob's Note: Done. Club members have been sent instructions on how to do this.
2. Linda Gosselin. I love reading your newsletter and I LOVE the threads! I have another use for my thread stand. When I have a quilt to bind, I roll up the folded binding and put it where the thread cone goes. It feeds the binding so nicely and leaves my hands both free to guide it!
3. Jody Ohrt for the Dissolve idea explained in the Education section above.
4. Shirley Malia. When you re-make the first two King Tut color cards, please have the thread colors placed in numeric sequence.
Bob's Note: Done (see What's New below). The King Tut cards are now in numerical order. On the back of the color cards, we also listed the color names in alphabetical order so you can now easily search by color number or by color name.
WHAT’S NEW (This Month)
1. Longarm machine needles.
Some longarm machine companies recommend specific needles for their machines.
We now have them available for
Handi Quilter, APQS, A1, and other longarm machines.
Each needle type is available in multiple sizes.
2. Empty plastic bobbins
L-style empty plastic bobbins. Fit most L bobbin-compatible machines.
Bag of 100 bobbins for $9 (only $0.09 per bobbin).
Simply wind thread onto these bobbins and use them as bobbins or use them as mini spools on top.
Very convenient when you travel and want to take many colors of thread with you.
3. M style aluminum bobbins
M-style lightweight aluminum bobbins for longarm machines that use M-style bobbins.
Available by the piece ($2.95) or in a pack of 10 ($27.95).
4. Handi Quilter bobbin case
For all Handi Quilter machines.
This is the official Handi Quilter bobbin case.
5. We chose Australian names for our new So Fine #40 Variegated thread. Honoring Mother Superior's homeland, these beautiful threads have color names like Kangaroo, Billabong, Wagga Wagga, Walkabout, Crikey!, Gold Coast, and Outback. For years, many have requested So Fine #50 thread to be made in variegated colors. We resisted because a #50 thread is usually used as a blending thread rather than a visible thread. The perfect solution was to make So Fine in a #40 size thread and dye it in variegated colors.
The nature of So Fine thread is different from any other polyester thread. It is a patented and protected process and this new So Fine #40 thread is the only thread like it in the world. Guaranteed.
30 beautiful variegated colors. 1,650 yd. cones. See Specials below for sales this month.
6. Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob. REVISED July 2011. We just added an additional 14 short educational videos. A total of 27 short videos are now available on our website. Recorded live at an actual thread therapy session at the School of Threadology. These will help solve most problems you encounter with thread, needles, and tension.
WHAT’S NEW (Last Month)
1. PayPal is now a payment option. We have considered this many times in the past and kept resisting, but the time has come and we now accept PayPal. You will see it in the payment options at checkout.
2. Updated Thread Selection Guide. Do you want the thread to blend or to be visible? Solid or variegated? Cotton, poly, metallic, silk, other? For embroidery, serger, piecing, quilting? This convenient flow chart will guide you to the ideal thread for the look you want.
3. Two new Color Compatibility charts are available. King Tut to Bottom Line and Bottom Line to King Tut
4. We continue to add So Fine #50 colors to the 550 yd. spool collection. These colors are already available on the 3,280 yd. cones.
Twelve more colors are now available on the 550 yd. spools
Color numbers 455, 456, 459, 461, 463, 464, 465, 498, 499, 500, 503, 508.
5. Product-specific videos. We are making a series of 2-3 minute videos demonstrating each of our threads. We show the thread in use and talk about needles and tension. The first video is for OMNI Thread and is now on our website. Click here to view
THREAD of the MONTH CLUB
We recently received this e-mail from a customer: "This club is So Fun! I have received colors that I would never have ordered but I have used them on quilts within days of the shipment arriving! Thanks for this wonderful opportunity to have a terrific stash of thread. When So Fine color #531 came in, I pondered where to put it on my shelf. Is it red? brown? peach? I turned around and the perfect quilt for that color was already on the frame!"
Price Guarantee. Club members are guaranteed that the price for Club threads will not increase for the monthly Club shipments. This guarantee is valid for all Club members. For example, the price of King Tut and MasterPiece spools recently increased. However, the Club price stayed at the original level. This means that even if you join a club now, your prices are at the original Club level, not the current higher price.
We tried to design our Thread of the Month Clubs in such a way that it screams, "Why wouldn't I want to be part of this? The benefits are amazing."
- FREE SHIPPING (USA addresses) or discounted shipping (international) on your monthly Club order including all Superior products items you add to the Club shipment.
- No enrollment fees, management fees, or any type of fees.
- No time commitment. Start, add, cancel, or switch Clubs any time.
- Wide variety of threads to choose from such as King Tut, MasterPiece, So Fine, Bottom Line, OMNI, Embroidery, Silk, and a new Superior Sampler Club.
- Members-only amazing monthly discounts. There are some great specials.
- Retail and Wholesale Clubs available. (Wholesale accounts must log in to view Clubs.)
What is the School of Threadology?
1. September 13, 20, 27, 2011. St. George, Utah. Sue Gilgen Landscape Quilt class . The class is held on three consecutive Tuesdays so we understand it is not feasible for those who travel, but if you live near us, it's going to be a great class. $195. Maximum of 14 students.
2. November 11-12, 2001. St. George, Utah. A1 Longarm Machine Play Day with Jen Alexander.
November 11, 2011 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. FREE CLASS. A1 Quilting Machine Play Day. This is a no-pressure class for quilters who don't own a longarm, for those who want to know more about the A1 Quilting Machine, and for those who are interested in learning how to machine quilt. You will have plenty of time to play with an A1 quilting machine and see if it is the right fit for you. There will be 3 to 4 people per machine. You will learn some basic quilting patterns and even get to take home your sample piece. It is going to be a blast. Come with questions. Limited to 12 participants.
November 12, 2011 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. A1 Machine Maintenance and Thread Play. $75.00. Includes lunch. The first half of this class is a comprehensive overview on how to maintain your A1 Quilting Machine. You'll learn everything from oiling, lubrication, timing, tension and fixing thread breakage to tweaking electronics. You'll go home with troubleshooting skills and know how to achieve beautiful tension. You'll also learn lots of tips and tricks to get your machine in top running order and keep it that way! You will go home with a HANDOUT and PICTURES. Bring your questions. The second half is a hands-on Thread Play class. You'll learn how to tension and thread your machine with many of the varieties of thread from Superior Threads. Jen Alexander
is an award-winning quilter who has been professional machine quilting since 2004. She started teaching machine quilting and machine maintenance in 2006 to quilters of all skill levels. Jen became an A1 Quilting Machine dealer in 2007. She loves what she does because of the creativity and the people with whom she works. Jen lives in Utah with her husband, JC, and their three children, ages 7 to 17.
Registration is open for Day 1, Day 2, or both days. Please e-mail Jen Alexander
to sign up.
3. January 16-17, 2012. Ontario, CA. Certified Superior Threadologist course
. Registration will be through Road to California
quilt show office. Limited capacity.
4. February 2-4 and 6-8, 2012. St. George, Utah. The Silk Experience
. Session 1 (Feb. 2-4) is for quilters. Session 2 (Feb. 6-8) is for sewers. Conducted by Maggie Backman, one of the most knowledgeable silk specialists in the world. Maggie designed these unique round robin classes using three talented and experienced teachers for each session. The classes will be utilizing silk as the fiber of choice because silk invites many techniques such as easy coloring, surface design and quilting processes. Each class will utilize and experience the silk threads that Superior has recently introduced to their thread line. The six classroom teachers are well known national/international teachers, having worked together in previous years at the Houston Festival. The new class setting in St. George, Utah offers a new retreat format that allows a quiet, wonderful atmosphere for fun, fiber and function. The sessions are reasonably priced and detailed information about the teachers, class descriptions, location, and opportunities are available at SilkCentralOnline.com
or contact Maggie via e-mail
. Maximum: 30 students per session.
5. March 20-23, 2012. St. George, Utah. MY DESIGN by Cindy Needham
. Cindy has created this workshop for the confident beginner up to the experienced free motion quilter. She will provide you with a good foundation on thread choices, how to make good quilting design choices, how to create and design fabulous feathers and her new French paisley designs, and how to create beautiful background designs with minimal marking. Everyone will go home with a beautiful wholecloth sampler quilt that is created during the week. Cost of $400 includes 4 full days of Cindy's workshops, 4 lunches and 3 dinners. Price does not include airfare or hotel accommodations. Please do not make non-refundable airline and hotel reservations until we meet our student minimum of 18. 25% off
most Dissolve and Dissolve-4x water soluble stabilizer packs and rolls. To learn about Dissolve and Dissolve-4x and for ideas on how to use it, please click here
. Regular Dissolve 2 yd. pack
(47 inches x 2 yds.) $5.50 this month (reg. $7.50) Regular Dissolve 5 yd. pack
(47 inches x 5 yds.) $10.87 this month (reg. $14.50) Dissolve-4x 1 yd. pack
(47 inches x 1 yd.) $8.99 this month (reg. $11.99) Dissolve-4x roll
(16 inches wide x 4 yds.) $11.99 this month (reg. $15.99) Dissolve-4x jumbo roll
(16 inches wide x 20 yds.) $44.95 this month (reg. $59.95) 25% off So Fine #40 Variegated thread
this month. Our newest thread line. Exact same thread type as our smooth, lint-free So Fine #50 thread but in a medium weight #40/3-ply size.
30 beautiful variegated colors. 1,650 yd. cones. September special: $16.45
(reg. $21.95) OMNI Thread
is on sale. 22% off during September
. Celebrating the full line of 172 colors. All colors are now in stock. OMNI Thread was designed as a machine quilting thread for high speed midarm, longarm, and home machine quilting and is recommended as both a top thread and a bobbin thread. OMNI is also a wonderful serger thread.
Thread size: Tex 30 (approx. equal to 40 wt.)
Construction: Filament poly core wrapped with a spun poly outer layer.
Number of colors: 172. Cone size: 6,000 yds.
Sale Price: $12
(reg. $15.40) #100 Kimono Silk on 1,090 yd. mini-cones
80 vibrant colors of #100 fine silk thread.
Ideal for hand applique, invisible machine applique, and detail quilting.
1,090 yd. mini cones. On sale this month for $12.99
With over 3,000 products, ordering and producing is a busy task. We made a mistake on a recent batch of two colors of Glitter and they are not quite as sparkly as our standard colors. So, here is the offer: We have a batch of light gold and a batch of bright gold Glitter that are slightly different from our regular colors, so we are offering them at 75% off (until they are gone)
Exact same quality as all our Glitter thread but just a not-quite-as glittery in color. If you teach classes or need a decorative thread for store demos, this is a great opportunity.
Glitter is wonderful for decorative quilting and embroidery.
To see Glitter in use, we have a short video
Only $1.50 per spool
(reg. $5.99). No Limit (until they are gone). Click here to order Sampler Sets
If you are not familiar with many of our products, we offer a variety of Sampler Sets at good discounts. We have a set for home quilters, another for longarm quilters, another for embroiderers, and another for bobbin work/serger/couching.
Each set contains many threads for the indicated application. For example, the Home Machine Quilting Sampler kit contains the following: Color catalog, Superior Metallics (500 yds.), Glitter (400 yds.), Rainbows (500 yds.), NiteLite ExtraGlow (80 yds.), The Bottom Line (1,420 yds.), Nature Colors (500 yds.), So Fine (550 yds.), King Tut (500 yds.), MasterPiece (600 yds.), Superior Topstitch Assortment needles (pack of 5 needles), SuperBOBs L-Style (1 bobbin), So Fine #30 (NEW Brytes) (275 yds.), Kimono Silk (220 yds.). A $90 value for only $54. Similar discounts are offered on all Sampler Set.
. All remaining stock at 50% off. Perfect Quilter is a #30/3-ply cotton and is being discontinued. Available on both 300 yd. mini cones and 2,500 yd. cones. Perfect Quilter is a heavier cotton thread and intended to be visible on your quilts. Works well on home machines with a Topstitch #100/16 needle. Some longarm machines (tight-tensioned machines) do not run it well. Loosely-tensioned longarm machines are fine.
300 yd. mini cones
$4.50 (reg. $8.99). 27 colors remaining.
2,500 yd. cones
$15 (reg. $29.99). 9 colors remaining.
50% off pure filament silk ribbon.
Superior's Silk Ribbon is available in 3 widths (2mm, 4mm, 7mm).
30 beautiful variegated colors and some solid colors.
50% off this month. Only $3.50 per pack (reg. $6.99).
What I believe to be the most innovative quilting-related Internet company in the world is Websites For Quilters. They also developed many websites in the quilting world including the FindMyFabric website, and the Quilter's Daily Special website. We use them and highly recommend them. (This is an unpaid plug for them because we like the superior work they do.) For more information, please click here . They have designed hundreds of websites for quilting-related individuals and companies as well as non-quilting related websites.
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE of the MONTH
A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner. "Good morning" said the young man, "If I could take a couple minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in high-tech vacuum cleaners."
"Go away!" said the old lady. "I'm broke and don't have any money" and she proceeded to close the door.
Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door and pushed it wide open. "Don't be too hasty!" he said. "Not until you have at least seen my demonstration." And with that, he emptied a bucket of dirt onto her carpet.
"Now, if this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this dirt from your carpet, Madam, I will personally eat the remainder!"
The old lady stepped back and said, "Well, let me go get you a spoon because they cut off my electricity this morning."
$3.95 SHIPPING ON ALL RETAIL ORDERS CONTINUES within the U.S. 50 states. You choose the products, we’ll choose the shipping method. (Wholesale and business account orders have different shipping rates.) You still have the option of choosing faster shipping methods.
We now offer low Air Mail rates on international shipping to most countries. Air Mail rates are available for packages up to 4 lbs. International packages over 4 lbs. sent via the Post Office require Priority Mail or Express Mail rates. UPS is also available. THANK YOU
for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day. To change your subscribed e-mail address or if this was forwarded to you and you want your very own copy personally sent to your e-mail Inbox, please click here: Subscribe
To unsubscribe, click the link at the bottom of the e-mail.
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee. sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior no ka oi
Copyright © 2011 Superior Threads
. All Rights Reserved. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell. www.superiorthreads.com