October 2011 Newsletter
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior Threads October 2011 Newsletter
WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
I read this article that said that typical symptoms of stress for quilters are eating too much chocolate, impulse fabric buying, and driving too fast to quilt stores. Are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day!
EDUCATION: Putting Things in Perspective
A few years ago we were helping our son find an apartment to rent at college. Most college apartments consisted of two or three bedrooms with shared bathroom and kitchen. There were many to choose from and options ranged from a private bedroom to shared rooms. All apartments required an 8-month contract covering the school year. When we compared costs, I was surprised to see that there was little average monthly difference. A shared room cost an average of $195 per month and a private bedroom cost an average of $220 per month. For only $25 more per month, he could have a private bedroom, eliminating the risk of an incompatible roommate and fewer distractions. The total amount seemed quite a bit more (8 months x $25 = $200) but on a month-to-month basis, it seemed quite small. I reasoned that we could afford the extra $25 per month because the value obtained seemed worth it. It was a choice between acceptable and ideal. $220 per month seemed expensive. But no matter what, we had to spend a minimum of $195. Instead of looking at the total, I looked at the incremental difference ($25) and compared the value. For only $25 more, we could provide the best available. That became our choice.
So how does this relate to quilting? Let's add up what is in a queen or king size quilt.
Pattern, class, or book: $10 to $30
Fabric for both top and back: $180-$250.
Hours invested in planning, shopping, cutting, piecing, quilting, binding: I hesitate to estimate this one, but many are in the 100+ hour range.
Cost of batting: $15 to $40.
If you pay someone to do the quilting: $150 to $350
The total ranges between $355 and $670. You have invested a minimum of $355 and many, many hours. So why scrimp on the final step -- thread quality? A cheap thread will add $5.00 to the total cost. An excellent thread may add as much as $25 to the total cost. The difference of only $20 between these two extremes may be the difference between a Yugo and a Rolls Royce. There is a difference. Your machine can tell the difference. Your quilt will show the difference. The right thread can turn a wonderful quilt into a masterpiece quilt. The incremental cost for quality thread is small when compared to the total cost of the quilt, but what a difference it can make!
$30 IDEA WINNERS. Please be our Business Consultant. E-mail your ideas to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We will award a $30 gift certificate for the best ideas. This month's winning Consultants:
1. Joe Ann Wood. On the visible bottom lip of the So Fine cones, I write the corresponding number of Bottom Line that matches. This saves me from always having to look at my color chart. And, all empty cones go into a basket and when it's time to place an order, all I have to do is look in the basket.
Bob's Note: Good idea. Some write the color name and number on the bottom flange. Some write the compatible bobbin color number.
2. Laura Barnes. Please put the option in our account profiles to update or remove credit card numbers, especially for us who are in the thread clubs and have recurring charges. Since I live in an Eastern Time Zone I have to wait until 11 a.m. my time to call you with changes. It would be so much easier to do this online.
Bob's Note: Done. When you log in, look for a link at the bottom-left of the page that says Update Credit Card.
3. Cathy Ferrarese. Please include on the website a way to send an order to another person. I was sending thread and needles as a birthday gift to my mother but it would only allow me to change the shipping address, not the ship to name. If you added a box to designate the order as a gift, you could then offer a gift message if you wanted to. A gift message option would be great!
Bob's Note: Done. During checkout, there is now a Gift option. Above the Enter payment Information there is a This order is a gift box. When selected, a message box will appear. Simply type the message you want and continue to check out. You also have the option to request that we not include the receipt with the gift order.
4. Ashley (Midnight Quilter). When you use the search engine on your website, and for instance type 918, then when I click on either the 500 yd. or 2,000 yd. cone images to enlarge the picture of the thread, there is no color description. If you could add exactly what you have listed on the Products pages (the color description) it would be so extremely helpful.
Bob's Note: Mostly done. We have a few more pages to complete.
WHAT’S NEW (This Month)
1. Bobbin Compatibility List. We have compiled a comprehensive list showing what type bobbin is used by most machines.
2. Hugo's Amazing Tape. Hugo's Amazing Tape is a no-glue self-clinging tape that can be reused over and over. No sticky residue. Strong and durable. Excellent for wrapping around cones/spools of thread to keep the ends from unraveling. Ideal to keep quilt strips and fabric rolls organized.
Wrap around boxes to keep them closed, books to keep pages open, wrapping paper and ribbon to prevent unwinding, and to secure objects. Works wet or dry.
On sale this month. See Specials below.
3. Gift option on website. During checkout, there is now a Gift option which allows you to send the order to another person. Above the Enter payment Information there is a This order is a gift box. When selected, a message box will appear. Simply type the message you want and continue to check out. You also have the option to request that we not include the receipt with the gift order.
WHAT’S NEW (Last Month)
1. Longarm machine needles.
Some longarm machine companies recommend specific needles for their machines.
We now have them available for
Handi Quilter, APQS, A1, and other longarm machines.
Each needle type is available in multiple sizes.
2. Empty plastic bobbins
L-style empty plastic bobbins. Fit most L bobbin-compatible machines.
Bag of 100 bobbins for $9 (only $0.09 per bobbin).
Simply wind thread onto these bobbins and use them as bobbins or use them as mini spools on top.
Very convenient when you travel and want to take many colors of thread with you.
3. M style aluminum bobbins
M-style lightweight aluminum bobbins for longarm machines that use M-style bobbins.
Available by the piece ($2.95) or in a pack of 10 ($27.95).
4. Handi Quilter bobbin case
For all Handi Quilter machines.
This is the official Handi Quilter bobbin case.
5. Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob. REVISED July 2011. We just added an additional 14 short educational videos. A total of 27 short videos are now available on our website. Recorded live at an actual thread therapy session at the School of Threadology. These will help solve most problems you encounter with thread, needles, and tension.
6. Thread tails. MasterPiece thread tails from our bobbin winding process are collected and sold in bags. Great to use for fiber art projects. Use with our Dissolve and/or Dissolve-4x to create a thread garment or thread scarf. Available in several color choices. Limited quantities. $12.50.
THREAD of the MONTH CLUB
Each month, more and more are discovering and enjoying the benefits of the Thread of the Month Club. We tried to design our Thread of the Month Clubs in such a way that it screams, "Why wouldn't I want to be part of this? The benefits are amazing."
- FREE SHIPPING (USA addresses) or discounted shipping (international) on your monthly Club order including all Superior products items you add to the Club shipment.
- No enrollment fees, management fees, or any type of fees.
- No time commitment. Start, add, cancel, or switch Clubs any time.
- Wide variety of threads to choose from such as King Tut, MasterPiece, So Fine, Bottom Line, OMNI, Embroidery, Silk, and a new Superior Sampler Club.
- Members-only amazing monthly discounts. There are some great specials.
- Retail and Wholesale Clubs available. (Wholesale accounts must log in to view Clubs.)
Price Guarantee. Club members are guaranteed that the price for Club threads will not increase for the monthly Club shipments. This guarantee is valid for all Club members. For example, the price of King Tut and MasterPiece spools recently increased. However, the Club price stayed at the original level. This means that even if you join a club now, your prices are at the original Club level, not the current higher price.
What is the School of Threadology?
1. November 11-12, 2001. St. George, Utah. A1 Longarm Machine Play Day with Jen Alexander.
November 11, 2011 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. FREE CLASS. A1 Quilting Machine Play Day. This is a no-pressure class for quilters who don't own a longarm, for those who want to know more about the A1 Quilting Machine, and for those who are interested in learning how to machine quilt. You will have plenty of time to play with an A1 quilting machine and see if it is the right fit for you. There will be 3 to 4 people per machine. You will learn some basic quilting patterns and even get to take home your sample piece. It is going to be a blast. Come with questions. Limited to 12 participants.
November 12, 2011 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. A1 Machine Maintenance and Thread Play. $75.00. Includes lunch. The first half of this class is a comprehensive overview on how to maintain your A1 Quilting Machine. You'll learn everything from oiling, lubrication, timing, tension and fixing thread breakage to tweaking electronics. You'll go home with troubleshooting skills and know how to achieve beautiful tension. You'll also learn lots of tips and tricks to get your machine in top running order and keep it that way! You will go home with a HANDOUT and PICTURES. Bring your questions. The second half is a hands-on Thread Play class. You'll learn how to tension and thread your machine with many of the varieties of thread from Superior Threads. Jen Alexander
is an award-winning quilter who has been professional machine quilting since 2004. She started teaching machine quilting and machine maintenance in 2006 to quilters of all skill levels. Jen became an A1 Quilting Machine dealer in 2007. She loves what she does because of the creativity and the people with whom she works. Jen lives in Utah with her husband, JC, and their three children, ages 7 to 17.
Registration is open for Day 1, Day 2, or both days. Please e-mail Jen Alexander
to sign up.
2. January 16-17, 2012. Ontario, CA. Certified Superior Threadologist course
. Registration will be through Road to California
quilt show office. Limited capacity.
3. February 2-4 and 6-8, 2012. St. George, Utah. The Silk Experience
. Session 1 (Feb. 2-4) is for quilters. Session 2 (Feb. 6-8) is for sewers. Conducted by Maggie Backman, one of the most knowledgeable silk specialists in the world. Maggie designed these unique round robin classes using three talented and experienced teachers for each session. The classes will be utilizing silk as the fiber of choice because silk invites many techniques such as easy coloring, surface design and quilting processes. Each class will utilize and experience the silk threads that Superior has recently introduced to their thread line. The six classroom teachers are well known national/international teachers, having worked together in previous years at the Houston Festival. The new class setting in St. George, Utah offers a new retreat format that allows a quiet, wonderful atmosphere for fun, fiber and function. The sessions are reasonably priced and detailed information about the teachers, class descriptions, location, and opportunities are available at SilkCentralOnline.com
or contact Maggie via e-mail
. Maximum: 30 students per session.
4. March 20-23, 2012. St. George, Utah. MY DESIGN by Cindy Needham
. Cindy has created this workshop for the confident beginner up to the experienced free motion quilter. She will provide you with a good foundation on thread choices, how to make good quilting design choices, how to create and design fabulous feathers and her new French paisley designs, and how to create beautiful background designs with minimal marking. Everyone will go home with a beautiful wholecloth sampler quilt that is created during the week. Cost of $400 includes 4 full days of Cindy's workshops, 4 lunches and 3 dinners. Price does not include airfare or hotel accommodations. Please do not make non-refundable airline and hotel reservations until we meet our student minimum of 18. (8 spaces left)
1. Hugo's Amazing Tape. Hugo's Amazing Tape is a no-glue self-clinging tape that can be reused over and over. No sticky residue. Strong and durable. Excellent for wrapping around cones/spools of thread to keep the ends from unraveling. Ideal to keep quilt strips and fabric rolls organized.
Wrap around boxes to keep them closed, books to keep pages open, wrapping paper and ribbon to prevent unwinding, and to secure objects. Works wet or dry.
Introductory price: 50 ft. roll x 1" wide. $8.95 (reg. $14.95). No Limit.
So Fine #30 (formerly called New Brytes) is the exact same thread type as So Fine #50 but heavier.
50 bright colors for quilting and outlining. 40% off this month.1,650 yd. cones
are $11.88 (reg. $19.80)275 yd. spools
are $3.60 (reg. $5.99)
Please watch our Educational Video showing So Fine #30
thread. No Limit. 25% off
most Dissolve and Dissolve-4x water soluble stabilizer packs and rolls. To learn about Dissolve and Dissolve-4x and for ideas on how to use it, please click here
. Regular Dissolve 2 yd. pack
(47 inches x 2 yds.) $5.50 this month (reg. $7.50) Regular Dissolve 5 yd. pack
(47 inches x 5 yds.) $10.87 this month (reg. $14.50) Dissolve-4x 1 yd. pack
(47 inches x 1 yd.) $8.99 this month (reg. $11.99) Dissolve-4x roll
(16 inches wide x 4 yds.) $11.99 this month (reg. $15.99) Dissolve-4x jumbo roll
(16 inches wide x 20 yds.) $44.95 this month (reg. $59.95) #100 Kimono Silk on 1,090 yd. mini-cones
80 vibrant colors of #100 fine silk thread.
Ideal for hand applique, invisible machine applique, and detail quilting.
1,090 yd. mini cones. On sale this month for $12.99
(reg. $17.99) No Limit. Sampler Sets
If you are not familiar with many of our products, we offer a variety of Sampler Sets at good discounts. We have a set for home quilters, another for longarm quilters, another for embroiderers, and another for bobbin work/serger/couching.
Each set contains many threads for the indicated application. For example, the Home Machine Quilting Sampler kit contains the following: Color catalog, Superior Metallics (500 yds.), Glitter (400 yds.), Rainbows (500 yds.), NiteLite ExtraGlow (80 yds.), The Bottom Line (1,420 yds.), Nature Colors (500 yds.), So Fine (550 yds.), King Tut (500 yds.), MasterPiece (600 yds.), Superior Topstitch Assortment needles (pack of 5 needles), SuperBOBs L-Style (1 bobbin), So Fine #30 (NEW Brytes) (275 yds.), Kimono Silk (220 yds.). A $90 value for only $54. Similar discounts are offered on all Sampler Sets.
. All remaining stock at 50% off. Perfect Quilter is a #30/3-ply cotton and is being discontinued. Available on both 300 yd. mini cones and 2,500 yd. cones. Perfect Quilter is a heavier cotton thread and intended to be visible on your quilts. Works well on home machines with a Topstitch #100/16 needle. Some longarm machines (tight-tensioned machines) do not run it well. Loosely-tensioned longarm machines are fine with a #20 or #21 needle.
300 yd. mini cones
$4.50 (reg. $8.99). 27 colors remaining.
2,500 yd. cones
$15 (reg. $29.99). 9 colors remaining.
50% off pure filament silk ribbon.
Superior's Silk Ribbon is available in 3 widths (2mm, 4mm, 7mm).
30 beautiful variegated colors and some solid colors.
50% off this month. Only $3.50 per pack (reg. $6.99). No Limit.
What I believe to be the most innovative quilting-related Internet company in the world is Websites For Quilters. They also developed many websites in the quilting world including the FindMyFabric website, and the Quilter's Daily Special website. We use them and highly recommend them. (This is an unpaid plug for them because we like the superior work they do.) For more information, please click here. They have designed hundreds of websites for quilting-related individuals and companies as well as non-quilting related websites.
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE of the MONTH
A husband asked his wife, "Honey, will you love me when I'm old and senile?"
She said, "Of course I do."
$3.95 SHIPPING ON ALL RETAIL ORDERS CONTINUES within the U.S. 50 states. You choose the products, we’ll choose the shipping method. (Wholesale and business account orders have different shipping rates.) You still have the option of choosing faster shipping methods.
We now offer low Air Mail rates on international shipping to most countries. Air Mail rates are available for packages up to 4 lbs. International packages over 4 lbs. sent via the Post Office require Priority Mail or Express Mail rates. UPS is also available.
for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day. To change your subscribed e-mail address or if this was forwarded to you and you want your very own copy personally sent to your e-mail Inbox, please click here: Subscribe
To unsubscribe, click the link at the bottom of the e-mail.
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee. sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior no ka oi
Copyright © 2011 Superior Threads
. All Rights Reserved. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell. www.superiorthreads.com