Mid-March 2012 Newsletter
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
Superior Threads TEL 800-499-1777 or 435-652-1867
Mid-March 2012 Newsletter. This newsletter and previous newsletters may be viewed on our website.
WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR
March 17 is International Quilt Day. Superior Threads and TheQuiltShow.com have teamed up to give the ultimate experience for International Quilt Day. Join us March 16-18, 2012 as we celebrate quilting.
*Visit TheQuiltShow.com community for FREE and watch more than 100 shows hosted by Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims featuring the top quilting teachers in the world. Enter a contest to win amazing prizes, including
- A Bernina 550 sewing machine
- Set of assorted silk threads from Superior Threads
- Many other prizes
Plus, enjoy access to an episode of Why Quilts Matter, Stitched: The Movie
, and many other sources of excitement and creativity in The Quilt Show community. Simply click here
to get started.
EDUCATION: Silk, Silk, Silk
We introduced our #100 Kimono Silk thread about three years ago. Last year, we added #50 silk, #50 variegated silk, #30 silk, #16 silk, buttonhole silk, and #25/3 silk embroidery floss. Why so many types of silk thread? Because silk has become very popular for construction and piecing, quilting, and embellishing. Silk ribbon for Silk Ribbon Embroidery is also making a comeback. Maggie Backman, one of the most knowledgeable silk professionals in North America, wrote an interesting article about silk and it was published in Threads magazine. Maggie shared the article with us, and with her permission, it is now posted on our website. Please click here to learn read the article.
What is it? Each month, we will send you a carefully designed project that includes a featured product. You will receive a simple pattern and easy-to-follow instructions to create a small project. Many projects will include a product or technique you may have never tried before. The focus is on learning a skill or technique and not on the finished project. These are simple projects that can be completed in a short time.
How long does it take? 30 to 90 minutes each month. Emphasis is on the technique, not the finished project. Our purpose is to help you increase your knowledge and use of threads and related products which will add more possibilities to your sewing projects.
When does it start? Anytime. Regardless when you enroll, you will start with Course 101 and progress each month. It is an open enrollment (start and stop any time). No contract. No registration fees/federal excise taxes/dealer prep/fuel surcharges, or other fast-talking hidden charges.
My friend started in January. Can I start now but be on the same track as she is? If you request it, you can purchase the first two or three courses in order to be on the same track as your friend. Otherwise, we recommend you start with Course 101 when you enroll. Either way, you will not miss out on anything.
When does it ship? Between the 15th and 20th of each month.
Who is it for? With students ranging from absolute beginners to experienced and skilled sewists, Superior University will offer something for everyone. Of course, some lessons may be easy for some, yet challenging for others, but they will help everyone obtain a skill or improve a technique.
How much does it cost? Only $16.95 per month (including shipping to U.S. addresses) and a one-time Starter Kit fee of $29.95 (including shipping to U.S. addresses). International shipments incur postage fees.
Why? Since our beginning, our focus has been quality and education. Our School of Threadology was developed to teach you everything we know about thread, needles, and tension and how they interact. Superior University is our way to offer our School of Threadology to you, in your home, on your schedule, and at very low cost.
Superior University for Guilds and Stores. Superior University is also available for stores to teach as a monthly class and for guilds to use as a monthly workshop. Contact Ricci for details.
A Look Inside. Course 101 teaches bobbinwork using Razzle Dazzle decorative thread and a fairly new product called Soft and Stable, which was developed to use in place of batting or other stabilizers in purses, bags, totes, and more. Click here for Annie's video on Soft and Stable. Course 102 teaches thread painting with variegated Rainbows. Future courses teach a fusible thread applique technique, Texture Magic, making thread fabric, using metallic threads, and more.
More video support. Mother Superior (Heather) and University Chancellor, Dr. Ricci made a video showing bobbinwork using Razzle Dazzle. Great information for Course 101.
Student Feedback. Click here to view comments and testimonials, or add your own.
Show and Tell. See photos of completed projects sent to us from many participants.
For more information and enrollment, visit Superior University
Questions? Contact us at [email protected] or call 800-499-1777.
WHAT’S NEW (this week)
1. Q&A pages. A Q&A tab has been added to most products. Some questions do not pertain to a specific product so we created a general Q&A page.
2. When using spools, we sometimes use the new Superior Thread Holder in a horizontal position rather than in the vertical position. Here is a photo showing it in a horizontal position, positioned just behind a machine.
3. So Fine #40 (variegated) color card is being made and will be ready in a month. A color image is available on our website but there is a note saying it is not yet available. There is a also a place to request "e-mail me product is available."
4. Updated Inventory List. We have an inventory list available on our website. This is a convenient way to keep track of your thread inventory. So Fine #30, So Fine #40 variegated, and So Fine #50 have all been added and/or updated. You may print the entire inventory list (52 pages) or choose any individual thread line and print only those pages. Available in both pdf and xls formats. A mobile App is under development.
WHAT’S NEW (two weeks ago)
1. We have created a new tab on most Product pages called "Sample Photos" which display how a particular thread looks in a project. Whether it has been quilted, sewn, or embroidered, there are detailed photos which will show how the thread looks. The quilts which are shown in the sample photos are linked to our Gallery, which has over 100 quilts on digital display. Click here to view King Tut sample photos.
2. Mother Superior presents a one-minute video introducing our titanium-coated Topstitch needles.
3. Superior is now pinning on Pinterest! Haven't heard of Pinterest? Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their quilting projects, map out their next craft project, and organize favorite recipes. With Pinterest, you can digitally organize your pinboard and, best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests. Click here to follow us and see what we are pinning onto our virtual pinboard.
4. New Website Design Coming Soon!
We have been working on a site-wide redesign and are very close to launch. Thank you to many of you for ideas and feedback on how we can improve our site. A few notable changes will include
* Easier home page navigation and product finding
* General category buttons such as Quilting Thread, Sewing Thread, etc.
* Blog Preview will be available on the home page
* New sidebar with options instead of tabbed-options for product lines
$30 IDEA WINNERS Please be our Business Consultant. Post your ideas here to help us serve you better (products, education, website, customer service, etc.). We award $30 gift certificates for the best ideas. We are working on many ideas to make our website faster and easier to navigate. The new Search function is amazing. Please continue to send your ideas to help us improve.
THREAD of the MONTH CLUB
* More than a dozen clubs to choose from. Collect the entire line of your favorite thread, a few spools at a time, and enjoy the benefits.
* Free shipping (U.S.A. addresses) or discounted shipping (international) for monthly Club shipments including all add-on thread orders shipped with it.
* Members-only private sales.
* Price Guarantee. Club members are guaranteed that the price for Club threads will not increase for the monthly Club shipments. For example, the price of King Tut and MasterPiece spools recently increased. However, the Club price stayed at the original level. This means that if you join a club now, your prices are at the original Club level, not the current higher price.
* No contract. Start and stop anytime.
* Available for both Wholesale and Retail accounts.
For details, please visit the Thread of the Month Club
Questions? Please contact us at [email protected] or call 1-855-415-7122.
1. June 29-July 1, 2012. Kauai, Hawaii. 3-day Certified Superior Threadologist course offered during Quilt Hawaii. Aloha. Thread classes almost on the beach. Limited to 30 participants.
2. Most future sessions of our School of Threadology will be offered through our new Superior University program. We provide detailed instruction in your home and on your schedule via our monthly class. It may not be as fun as visiting our campus, but it is less expensive and more convenient for you, and we can teach more by offering a new project each month. A DVD of a live recording of Bob's seminar, Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob, will be included free of charge ($24.95 value) as part of Superior University and will be sent with the first project.
Try Me Specials This is a fantastic way to try new products. You choose the product, we choose the colors, and you save 40-50%. Available for most products.
Superior titanium-coated Topstitch needles in bulk. These needles fit all home/domestic machines.
50 needles (5 needles per pack x 10 packs).
Available in size #70/10, #80/12, #90/14, and #100/16 and an Assortment pack of all sizes.
Needles are prepacked in packs of 50 needles per style.
25% off through the end of the month. $52.42 (reg. $69.90).
So Fine #40 (variegated) for quilting. This is the exact same thread type as So Fine #50 but in a #40/3-ply size and in variegated colors. We chose the top-selling colors from our other variegated color lines and created them in So Fine #40 thread.
-- smooth, lint-free polyester
-- one-inch color change intervals
--1,650 yd. cones
35 variegated colors available now and more are in the works.
25% off through the end of the month. $16.46 (reg. $21.95).
Perfect Quilter We need to make room for new products. All remaining stock of Perfect Quilter is less than half price. Perfect Quilter is a #30/3-ply cotton and is being discontinued. Available on both 300 yd. mini cones and 2,500 yd. cones. Perfect Quilter is a heavier cotton thread and intended to be visible on your quilts. Works well on home machines with a Topstitch #100/16 needle. Some longarm machines (tight-tensioned machines) do not run it well. Loosely-tensioned longarm machines are fine.
300 yd. mini cones $3.75 (reg. $8.99). 27 colors remaining. Less than half price.
2,500 yd. cones $10 (reg. $29.99). 6 colors remaining. Way less than half price.
50% off pure filament silk ribbon for silk ribbon embroidery.
Superior's Silk Ribbon is available in 3 widths (2mm, 4mm, 7mm).
30 beautiful variegated colors and some solid colors.
50% off this month.
Only $3.50 per pack (reg. $6.99).
Sampler Sets If you are not familiar with many of our products, we offer a variety of Sampler Sets at discounts of approx. 40% off.
Home Quilting Sampler Set
Longarm Quilting Sampler Set
Embroidery Sampler Set
Embellishment Sampler Set (for bobbin work/serger/couching)
Silk Sampler set
What I believe to be the most innovative quilting-related Internet company in the world is Websites For Quilters. They also developed many websites in the quilting world including the FindMyFabric website and the Quilter's Daily Special website. We use them and highly recommend them. (This is an unpaid plug for them because we like the superior work they do.) For more information, please click here. They have designed hundreds of websites for quilting-related individuals and companies as well as non-quilting related websites.
BOB’S SUPERIOR JOKE OF THE MONTH
A Pastor goes to the dentist for a set of false teeth. The first Sunday after he gets his new teeth, he talks for only five minutes. The second Sunday, he talks for only ten minutes. The following Sunday, he talks two and a half hours.
The congregation had to mob him to get him down from the pulpit and they asked him what happened.
The Pastor explains the first Sunday his gums hurt so bad he couldn't talk for more than five minutes. The second Sunday his gums hurt too much to talk for more than 10 minutes. But, the third Sunday, he put his wife's teeth in by mistake and he couldn't shut up.
THANK YOU for reading. Please forward to a friend and have a SUPERIOR day. To change your subscribed e-mail address or if this was forwarded to you and you want your very own copy personally sent to your e-mail Inbox, please click here: Subscribe To unsubscribe, click the link at the bottom of the e-mail.
Bob Purcell, the Thread Professor and self-certified Threadologist.
Watch for promotions on Facebook
Superior Threads: The ONLY thread with a guarantee.
sew superior . . . . . . . it's guaranteed!
TEL 800-499-1777 or 435-652-1867
Superior no ka oi
Copyright © 2012 Superior Threads. All Rights Reserved. If you wish to reprint the Education portion of this newsletter, authorization is hereby granted as long as the source is clearly cited as follows: used with permission from Bob Purcell, www.superiorthreads.com